by Kenneth Grahame
Adapted by Alan Bennett
Directed by Keith Thompson
Sunday 9th September 2012 at 10.30am in Room One
Playing dates: 21st to 31st December 2012
The Club has performed two versions of this wonderful story before but this will be the first time it has played the hugely successful Alan Bennett adaptation, which originated at the National Theatre in 1990. This much-loved story, notable for its mixture of mysticism, adventure, morality and camaraderie is a 'laughter-filled treat from start to finish', embellished by the special humour of Alan Bennett.
The River Bank
- Mole; a gentle soul, Alan Bennett says 'he could be an old-fashioned Northern schoolboy'
- Ratty; ‘might be a naval officer who has taken early retirement'
- Badger; gruff, but his bark is worse than his bite
- Albert; a doleful barge-horse
- Toad; boastful, impetuous, insensitive - and green!
- Also; Rabbits, Hedgehogs, Squirrels.
The Wild Wood
- Chief Weasel, Weasel Norman, Gerald Ferret, Sergeant Fred Ferret, Fox, more weasels. These are the villains, rough, sly, cackling, opportunist.
I have no plan to use youngsters in particular roles - these animals, the rabbits, hedgehogs, squirrels, weasels etc., can be any ages, and a mix of ages would be ideal. Most have dialogue.
The Wide World: Humans!
- Parkinson, Rupert, Monica, Magistrate, the Clerk of the Court, Policeman, Gaoler's Daughter, Washerwoman, Guard, Train Driver, Ticket Clerk, Bargewoman, Gypsy. Mostly they do what it says on the tin. A range of small and medium size parts, with opportunities for doubling and character acting.
I plan that the set will be mostly projections of cartoons specially drawn for this production, with additions - furniture etc.
Lots of vacancies, and trainees welcome. Stage managers, Lighting Designers and Operators, Sound, Projection, Costume, Make-up and Props. Great opportunities to create special effects!
Books available from Keith Thompson 01438 840553
Auditions for all productions